Tuesday, August 12, 2014

What will your verse be?

What is your first thought when you think of Robin Williams?  Now hold it. Hold that thought or picture in your mind--I bet your smiling. It would be impossible to count the times this one man has made people around the world smile or laugh. Impossible!  What a gift he had to deliver one liners off the cuff and bring witty humor to any situation.  In the beginning when the world took notice of his stand up comedy and role on the hit sitcom "Mork and Mindy", there was no doubt he was someone special.  He would go on to create characters, mimic voices, deliver jokes, and take starring roles in movies that showcased his brilliance.  My first exposure to Mr. Williams, like many, was through his role on Mork and Mindy.  I was a child and he entertained me with his wacky voice and physical comedy.  Years later in my early teen years I recall watching a HBO comedy special he performed.  Most of all I remember his hysterical Elmer Fudd version of "Fire" by Bruce Springsteen.        
                                                                            
 Another movie that I can watch over and over is "Good Morning Vietnam" --what can I say about his performance in this?  One word.  Awesome.  I think this movie more than any other shows off his quick delivery of one liners and comedy than any other movie.  He plays a fast talking DJ during the Vietnam war who pushes the envelope.  Much like his stand up comedy, he is so quick hitting with his delivery that you miss a joke or two because your still laughing at the prior.                              

Robin Williams did what a lot of comedians could not.  He crossed over and took on roles that not only allowed him to use his comedic genius but were also inspirational.  Roles in movies such as Patch Adams, Good Will Hunting, Awakenings, and Dead Poets Society.  The last movie listed has a special place in my life because it inspired me during my high school years to put away some of the fears of being different and to have the  courage to pursue dreams.  I could go on and on about this but I will end this blog with inspiring words delivered by Robin Williams in  his role as John  Keating in Dead Poets Society.
                                                                                                                                                 
"We don't read and write poetry because it's cute. We read and write poetry because we are members of the human race. And the human race is filled with passion. And medicine, law, business, engineering, these are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life. But poetry, beauty, romance, love, these are what we stay alive for. To quote from Whitman, "O me! O life!... of the questions of these recurring; of the endless trains of the faithless... of cities filled with the foolish; what good amid these, O me, O life?" Answer. That you are here - that life exists, and identity; that the powerful play goes on and you may contribute a verse. That the powerful play *goes on* and you may contribute a verse. What will your verse be?"  

Rest in peace Mr. Williams and thank you for contributing your verse. 

http://youtu.be/1vT-VaMXsAw

http://youtu.be/wuk8AOjGURE

No comments:

Post a Comment